Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Confidence and Arrogance




Do you remember what Khairy said just before the Permatang Pauh elections? "We will crush Anwar"


CONFIDENCE AND ARROGANCE

Living Lee

Confidence is when you say “I can do it” (with God’s help if you are a believer).


Paul proclaimed “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil 2:23). It is a combination of great ability tempered with great humility.


Paul encouraged timid young Timothy to be bold in the Lord (2 Timothy 1:7) for God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline. This boldness in the Lord that all Christians should cultivate is totally unlike the arrogant confidence of the self-made man of the world. The popular song“I did it my way”encapsulates such arrogant self-confidence.


Arrogance is to think that you are untouchable. Samson was gifted with great strength which also brought about his downfall because it made him think that he was invincible (Judges 16:20). It is pride in self and its achievements based on one’s own efforts. Nebuchadnezzer (Daniel 4:30) and later Herod (Acts 12:21-23) are biblical examples of this. Pride goes before a fall. In more recent times, the twelth general elections on 8.3.2008 in Malaysia have shown the ruling party what arrogance can cost them. Arrogance is riding roughshod over others and not being considerate of them. Arrogance is boastfulness. It leads to one’s downfall.


We want bold but humble Christians who acknowledge that the source of their strength is God. Such Christians do not depend on their own strength to succeed. Instead they discover with Paul the wonderful experience expressed in 2 Corinthians 12: 9 and 10 “But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why for Christ’s sake, I delight in


  • weaknesses,


  • insults,


  • hardships,


  • persecutions,


  • difficulties.

For when I am weak, then I am strong.”



Dear believer, the temptation to be proud and arrogant is very strong especially in the marketplace where success is instantly rewarded. The successful are placed on a pedestal and everyone praises them and looks up to them. We are reminded not to let such praise get to our heads when we are successful. Let us give all glory to God and remain humble dependent servant-leaders of His who are called to serve and not to be served (Luke 22:25-27).

No comments: